By now you may have heard that the CDC recommends we all upgrade from cloth masks to N95 masks. Unfortunately, like most things during this pandemic, these masks can be hard to find. Keep reading for information on the different types of N95 masks and where to find them in Washtenaw County.
N95 vs. KN95 vs. KF94 Masks
*Make sure to check for wear and tear. Click here for more tips on reusing masks.
How to spot counterfeit masks
- CDC Infographic for spotting counterfeit N95 masks
- Is your N95 mask NIOSH approved?
- List of things to watch out for (via NY Times)
- Things to think about when buying masks from a different county (via CDC)
Where to buy masks
- Washtenaw County Free Mask Program (Form currently closed, awaiting new shipment)
- Area Agency on Aging 1-B
- Chelsea Senior Center
- CVS (including inside Target stores)
- Rite Aid
- University of Michigan
- Sam’s Club
- List of mask distributions (MLive)
Still can’t find a mask?
Don’t panic if you can’t get your hands on an N95 mask just yet. While these masks do offer the most protection, the CDC stresses that the best mask is one that “fits close to the face without any gaps, and [is] comfortable enough to wear for long periods of time when needed.” Double mask if you can by “wearing a cloth mask over a disposable mask.” When using a cloth mask, hold it up to the light- a good cloth mask should not allow any light through.
Don’t forget, if you haven’t ordered your free Covid tests, you can do so by clicking here!