October is both Crime Prevention Month and Cyber Security Month! Today on the blog we’re going to share tips for navigating the internet safely. The internet brings us new and different ways to connect, but it also brings with it new opportunities for scammers.
How can I stay Safe?
- Make sure your computer is protected with anti-virus software
- Set up your web browser to not allow cookies, or to delete them after signing out
- Don’t use easily guessed passwords (e.g., Password, 12345, etc.)
- Make sure you’re on the right website (e.g., before buying something from Walmart, make sure the URL says walmart.com)
- NEVER share personal information (e.g., passwords) online or through email
- Only open emails from people you trust
- Remember that “https://” means that a site is secure
- Be suspicious of emails or links offering things for free. If a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is!
For more information about staying safe online and what to do if you’ve been scammed, visit the Attorney General Office’s website.