You may have heard the term “open enrollment” being thrown around this fall. Read on for information about Medicare open enrollment- what it is, important deadlines, tips, and local resources to help you along the process.
What is open enrollment?
Open enrollment is the time each fall when those eligible can enroll or change their Medicare plans.
What important deadlines do I need to know about?
This year the enrollment period runs from November 1st– December 15th. This is for plans that will start on January 1, 2022.
If you still need coverage for the remainder of 2021, click here to see if you’re eligible to apply for a program that will cover you for the rest of this year.
- Set aside time to look over your current coverage, paying special attention to your copays, medication coverage, and premiums. How well is it serving your needs? Is there a program that would better cover you? If so, now’s the time to switch!
- Use this checklist to make sure you have everything you need to apply.
- If you make under a certain amount, you could qualify for additional assistance programs like Extra Help or the Medicare Savings Program.
- Make sure to keep you and your loved ones safe by keeping up to date on common Medicare scams.
Where can I go if I need help with the enrollment process?
- CSSW: Medicare/Medicaid Assistance Program (MMAP)
- Area Agency on Aging: Medicare/Medicaid Assistance Program (MMAP)
- Manchester Community Resource Center
- Contact your local senior center to see if they’re hosting an enrollment event
- Visit the Ahead of the Curve Caregiver Calendar to find MMAP enrollment events in Washtenaw County